You may have heard that Sub It Club is 3 and we are celebrating! Today we are thrilled to have Jennifer Johnson-Blalock of Liza Dawson Associates here at the Sub It Club blog perusing your pitches! If you have not yet read our interview with Jennifer, please do go and read it. Jennifer shared a ton of insights that you’re sure to find helpful before pitching.
Pitch day is over but Jennifer left a ton of great feedback. You can learn a lot by reading through the comments! Jennifer had high hopes of being able to give everyone feedback and did all she could, but ran out of time. It looks like she got pretty far though. We had a lot of pitches! Jennifer will definitely read through the all pitches this week and make requests if any more pique her interest.
Jennifer will be looking at pitches today between 10am and 6pm EST.She will be offering feedback and making requests on those that pique her interest!
Here are the rules:
Only pitch work in the genres that Jennifer represents:
- narrative and prescriptive nonfiction
- commercial and upmarket fiction ( especially thrillers/mysteries, women’s fiction)
- contemporary romance
- young adult
- middle grade
Pitch completed fiction or complete nonfiction proposals only.
Post your pitch in the comments section of this post using the following format:
- Word count:
- Pitch: (100-words maximum)
- Excerpt: (The first 100-words of your novel. If it falls in the middle of your sentence, no worries, just finish your sentence out.)
If you get a request:
- In the Subject Line put: Sub It Club Pitch Day – YOUR TITLE
- Paste your pitch into the body of the email
- Attach the requested number of pages as a Word document (.doc)
- Send requested manuscripts to queryjennifer[at]lizadawson[dot]com
Yes, attach the pages! Jennifer says, “a lot of agents ask for pages attached because we read on various devices–a Kindle in my case.” So there you go!
If you have questions, I’ll be hanging around in our Sub It Club Submission Support Group and will answer asap. Here’s to some great pitches. Best of luck everyone!
P.S. When you’re done pitching and are patiently waiting for a reply, why not pop over and enter our autographed book giveaway for CHICKEN LILY, illustrated by Nina Victor Crittenden! It is so adorable.